Thursday, September 29, 2011

Week 2 - Banded

Well, so much for all the positive thoughts on Monday when I last posted! I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic and am now on Benedryl 24/7 for the rash.  That means no driving yet. My poor Mini Sylvie must be lonely in the garage by herself. ;-)

The main area that is still red and itchy is the incisions.  So, I still take the meds and stay at home.  I find sitting at the computer feels OK until I get up - this chair must not be the best position for me yet.

I saw my surgeon for the first week check-up.  He is pleased with how I'm doing.  I've lost 17 pounds since the pre-op diet, with 6 of those being since surgery.  He took off the steri-strips and it is possible that my skin was reacting to them as well.  Oh well, if I scar I just won't wear a bikini to the beach - oh wait, I wouldn't wear a bikini to the beach anyway!

I moved to a pureed diet today, relying on the protein shakes only if I can't get the protein in thru my meals.  I've been eating about 500-600 calories a day - but the nutritionist at the Bariatric Center said that is usual as my body heals.  Once the swelling goes down, I'll be able to eat a bit more volume than I am now.  So I'm trying different veggies to puree, having canned fruit pureed, lots of water/fluids, and of course protein in the form of pureed chicken, pork tenderloin, scrambled eggs and tonight - tilapia!

I'm a little anxious to get some of the items on my "to do" list done - but without driving and not being able to sit for long periods on the computer - well, things will just have to wait I guess.

I am in a photography class this fall - Portraits, but since I am repeating it, it is not critical to get back to class immediately, but I want to.  I have to wait and see how the rash is tomorrow - if I have to take more Benedryl, then I can't drive to class and will stay at home.  If the weather was a bit nicer, I would go outside and walk.  Maybe tomorrow?

You never know when you have surgery what "complications" will arise.  Plans just have to wait until all is well.

Meanwhile, God speaks and helps and encourages.  His healing is what I need - not just for my body, but my mind and heart when it comes to food.  I told myself that I could do the 4-6 weeks of limited diet after surgery, but was worried about the next two years and whether I would be able to use the Lap-Band as a tool to loose this weight.  He assures me that He will be with me on this journey and He will be my strength and help.  AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment