Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A New Christmas Sweater

When you make the decision to have Bariatric surgery, you don't realize all the implications. I knew I'd have to deal with not having candy in my stocking. I knew I wouldn't be able to pig out on food while watching Christmas movies or eat a whole large popcorn at the theater. I didn't know I'd have to deal with dressing up for the holidays. Sigh!

There's something special about decorating yourself for the holidays. Whether its the lapel pin or a fleece jacket with snowmen, it's just fun to wear special clothes. I have some if these clothes, but all of them are 2-3 sizes too big. Should I wear them one last time and look a bit baggy, not wear any special clothes this year, or buy a new Christmas sweater?

I fully recognize that this is a want and not a need. The practical side of me knows that anything I would buy this year should be too big next year. Isn't that a waste?

Yet when I was Christmas shopping yesterday, I found myself looking for a sweater I liked (I didn't find one.) and it caused me to ponder these unexpected consequences of the decision to have Bariatric surgery. Like Sunday, I was at church and knelt during worship at one point. And I had no knee pain! I just had thought I was getting old and hadn't realized it was all that weight loaded on my knees causing the pain.

I read a Christmas devotion today that connected God's command to decorate the tabernacle with the decorations we put up for Christmas. Aren't I a temple of God? OK, I'm not using that as an argument to spend money. I'm just pointing out that decorating ourselves with jewelry, pins and clothing that is special may have other meanings.

So, should I buy a new sweater? Maybe go to a used clothing store to see if there's a gently used one for sale? Wear the items in
my closet one more time?

Decisions. Decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment