Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day 1 of Pre-Op Diet

Today the journey starts.  I really began earlier this year when my doctor suggested I look into Lap-Band surgery for weight loss.  It took several months of prayer, investigation, questioning and tests to make the decision.  Then came the wait for the insurance company to approve.  The approval came on Saturday.  My penciled in date of September 19 is now the surgery date.  I still have work to do before then.
Tomorrow I see my doctor for a "health and physical" for the hospital.  I see the surgeon on Thursday for a pre-surgery visit.  That is where I get to ask all my remaining question, which are mostly logistics.  For two weeks, starting today, I am on a 1,000-calorie a day diet of two protein shakes, two small snacks and one small dinner a day.  Tonight will be the first test of my night eating bad habits.
I delayed the first shake today until after 9am, hoping to push out the eating times a bit.  I did have one cup of caffeine tea with raw sugar.  In the next few days, I will have to eliminate that and start a no-caffeine lifestyle.
All of this represents CHANGE! But then, I've lived with "mindless eating" for many years.  Better health and well-being says this needs to change.  I want to be more active, travel, hike in hard to reach places and enjoy life more fully.  For this, I need to loose weight.  I've tried to loose weight and been marginally successful for a time - but the weight keeps coming back on faster than I can re-motivate myself to loose again.  I'm hoping the Lap-Band will be the tool that keeps the weight off.
So this blog is my diary of sorts, of my life as a "banded" person - a term I've read on several lapband support websites. [More on that to come.]  So pray for me as I start this journey.  The Lord has given me peace about this new tool.  He will be my strength in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment